Sunday, September 23, 2012

A Dream within a dream - Edgar Allan Poe





A Dream Within A Dream 
       -by Edgar Allan Poe

Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
Thus much let me avow-
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream;

Yet if hope has flown away
In a night, or in a day
In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand-
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep- while I weep!
O God! can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?


꿈 속의 꿈
      - 에드거 앨런 포우

이마에 이 키스를 받으시오!
그리고, 이제 그대와 헤어짐에 있어
이토록 나는 고백하리다.
내 지난 날들이 꿈이었다고
그대가 생각한 들, 틀리지 않다는 것을.
그러나 가령 희망이
어느 밤, 어느 낮에
환상 속에든 아니든, 날아가 버렸다면
그렇다 해서 사라지지 않았다고 할 것인가?
우리가 보거나 그렇게 보이는 모든 것이
단지 꿈 속의 꿈인 것을.

나는 바닷가에 부딪쳐 부서지는
요란한 파도 소리 속에 서서
황금빛 모래알을
손에 쥐고 있나니-
그 얼마 되지도 않는! 그러나 모래알은
손가락을 흘러 바다로 떨어진다,
내가 울고 있는 동안에 - 울고 있는 동안에!
오, 신이여! 더욱더 꼭
쥘 수는 없을 런지요?
오, 신이여! 무정한 파도로부터
한 알만이라도 구할 수는 없는 지요?
우리가 보거나 그렇게 보이는 모든 것이
정녕 꿈 속의 꿈이란 말인가?



The Alan Parsons Project - Dream Within a Dream
( From  "Tales of Mystery and Imagination of Edgar Allan Poe" 1976)

(Narration :  - Orson Welles -)
For my own part, I have never had a thought 
Which I could not set down in words 
With even more distinctness that which I conceived it. 
There is however a class of fancies of exquisite delicacy 
Which are not thoughts and to which as yet 
I have found it absolutely impossible to adapt to language. 
These fancies arise in the soul, 
Alas how rarely, only at epochs 
Of most intense tranquillity 
When the bodily and mental health are in perfection. 
And those mere points of time 
When the confines of the waking world 
Blend with the world of dreams. 
And so I captured this fancy 
Where all that we see or seem 
Is but a dream within a dream.














No comments:

Post a Comment